Tree Hugger


Saying yesterday was a tough day is an understatement. A friend, whom I recently reconnected with, lost her mother to an all-too-short battle with cancer. A rush of emotions overwhelmed me for I knew exactly how she felt at that very moment and how she was going to feel for the next few days, months and years. I knew how there is nothing anyone can do or say really to alleviate the pain of knowing your momma was not coming back. And everyone keeps using that dirty word, "time."


During moments like this one, I find myself wanting my mom back. I want to hug her. I want to smell her perfume linger in the air. I want her to say in her angriest voice, Tabatha Lynn. I want to see her name come up on my caller id so early in the morning I think, "Geesh Mom."


Realistically, I don’t have that option. So here is what I do when I miss my mother...





I am sure I mentioned before that one of the first things we did as homeowners was plant trees on our property. The first plant was a beautiful Chanticleer Pear tree with white blooms which we call Shirley. It made sense. My mother loved being outside. She loved the garden. She loved white flowers and she loved to watch over us. I go out there and take a picture with her every year as she blooms. With an early spring, the blooms came early, but couldn’t have been at a better time. Guess she knew I needed her.


Some will say this is cheesy and I kind of agree. But it is true that people handle things differently. Some prefer the cemetery; I just prefer tree-hugging in a lovely spot in my back yard dedicated to my beautiful mother.

So I headed to work this morning to start the day, and the first news I heard was a co-worker that has been battling cancer for a few years, had passed last night as well. *sigh*

As we say our prayers tonight, we will keep both families in the foreground. We pray for peace, hope, healing - and possibly an outlet like the Shirley tree to help them keep-on-keeping-on.

Rest in peace Gloria and Gina. I am sure my mother will be among many there to welcome you home.



Comments

  1. Sorry for your loss. I simply can't imagine and I am sad for your loss. I think the Shirley tree is fantastic idea and indeed it is a beautiful tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Shirley tree and what it represents. I can't watch the Masters golf tournament without getting misty about my Dad and the years we spent watching in early April...I think I need to go play a round of golf. Lots of hugs to you, Ethan and KP.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts